Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Play's the Thing!


I took all three little people to a play this evening.

There was a children's theater production at our local arts center of "The Princess and the Pea" and I thought it would be a great way to expose them to the performing arts. I know it may be crazy to some that I would do this by myself but I really wanted to take the girls and I didn't want to get a sitter for Eric. Honestly, I have been looking forward to doing things like this with them and I am so glad they are getting old enough to do so. The performance was good, the girls where enthralled and Eric was quiet for the first 45 minutes. It was a loose interpretation of "The Princess and the Pea" but still cute and it had quite a bit of humor for the parents. The whole thing was only an hour long which means I spent the last 15 minutes feeding Eric "nacks!" that he started loudly asking for. I still had ALL of my hair and most of my patience afterwards...not bad! I really liked the intimate setting and even though we were one row from the back (not a bad place to be in case of an early exit - which we didn't have to do) we were only in the 7th row. Like I mentioned, it was a children's production which meant kid-friendly and siblings in the audience so I didn't feel so bad bringing in my gang.

The pictures at the top are ones I took right before we left. Eric has joyfully learned how to open the doors in our house and his favorite is the pantry of course. While I was getting the girls ready, Eric decided that the bowl of spaghetti he just ate wasn't enough so he helped himself to some oatmeal! And believe me, he ate quite a few handfuls...and I let him hoping it would fill his belly and I needed to get the finishing touches on the girls. We had a very nice time and we will do this again.

6 comments:

Shannon Ryan said...

How fun! I'm glad you all went and had a great time. Isn't it so cool that they have things like this to do with kids these days!?

Dona Eggar said...

That's wonderful, Heather. I am only sorry that I wasn't close enough to go with you to the play with the children. I love their reactions to everything...even to Eric getting his own oats! Great snack and if you just add water or milk it expands!
I'm going a children's Beauty and the Beast next Saturday. It will be the first attend to have Daniel to a children's play. You have to admit that they all did a phenominal job at the Christmas pagaent at the Quentin Road church. I was so proud of them and their parents!

Heather E said...

The girls outstanding behavior at the Christmas pageant is what gave me the confidence to take them to this play.

Anonymous said...

what a nice time everyone had. It sure is nice to expose the children to things like this at an early age. I'm glad that there are things like this available to take them to.

Anonymous said...

Eric's picture shows raw oatmeal today, haggis tomorrow. He must be Scotish.

Heather E said...

You got me on that one Dad. I had to look up Haggis....yikes!